Thursday, May 29, 2008

Clutch linkage woes

Since I haven't posted on this blog in over a year I figured it would be a good time to catch everyone up on what I have done to the jeep in that time. The very first modification I did to the CJ5 was fix the clutch linkage, I actually fixed it before my first post, but I figured I should at least write about it and post a couple of pictures...

The clutch on the Jeep never did feel very smooth, in fact it took a lot of force to engage the clutch. Once I got under the Jeep I realized that someone at some point made some modifications, probably when they installed hanging brake and clutch pedals, which didn't look very trustworthy and contributed to the clutch binding problem. You can see some of the modifications in this pic (ewwww):


So after a little research and using some of the great minds over at the earlyCJ5.com forums, I decided to convert the clutch to a chain linkage. There are some after market ones out there but I decided to save some money and make one of my own. I had the scrap metal and bolts laying around the garage for this project but had to buy the size 40 chain and the sprocket from a local sprocket and bearing shop. I opted for a cheap sprocket which did not come with bearings, instead I pressed in a piece of copper pipe as a bushing which has worked great. I think when all said and done I only spent $40 on the parts and I am really happy with the result, it definitely takes much less effort now to engage the clutch. Here is a pic of the new and improved clutch chain linkage:


1 comment:

Unknown said...

So I know this was over a deacde ago but could you please upload more pictures of this setup and/or provide links to the ECJ5 forums? Pics from the pedal back to the trans would be fantastic. I understand this was a long time ago so NBD if you can't